Not all pet furniture covers are alike. There are many different materials, levels of quality and protection, and maintenance. While covers may offer you a break from deep cleaning your upholstery and bed on a daily basis, just about all furniture covers will need to be adjusted frequently to keep them in place. Some of them rely on straps (tied or elastic) to hold them in place or non-skid backing. Consider the material your furniture is made from. Leather and polyurethane is very difficult to cover as it’s slippery and most covers will slide right off. Vinyl panels stapled or tacked to leather can destroy its finish and leave unsightly holes. And if you are trying to discourage your pets from being on the furniture altogether, consider the silver foil-like Pet Repeller Furniture Pad Sofa & Couch Mat.
You will also want to consider what you need to protect your furniture from. If your pets are left alone for longer periods of time during the day you may want a waterproof vs. water resistant cover. Can the cover be easily thrown in the wash over and over or is it spot-clean only? Many pad-style furniture covers incorporate a bolster to create a safe area for your pets to sleep. This is a good way to encourage them to only stay on that part of the furniture and offer a little bit of insulation between the pet and the surface of the furniture.
Our categories for Pet Furniture Covers are:
Slipcover style– covers most of the furniture
- More difficult to size and fit properly
- May be more easily torn or shredded if there is tension holding it in place
Pad style– covers back, seating area and usually the arms and front of furniture
- Easier to fit, usually secured with elastic straps, non-skid material or tucking
- Often move around more frequently needing constant adjustment
- Many have bolsters to create a defined bed area for your pet to lay down in more comfortably
Blanket Style– a square or rectangular cover, usually waterproof or water-resistant
- Better for beds, car seats, crates, and flatter surfaces or just the top of a chair or sofa
- Protection with comfort